Legal Insurance Services Manager - Calgary Office
You want to work at a law firm that has an excellent track record in providing Aboriginal and treaty rights advocacy, that is successful and innovative in improving access to justice for First Nations people, and values a team-approach to problem solving. Maurice Law is currently seeking to add to our growing team of dynamic professionals at our Calgary Office.
Title: Legal Insurance Services Manager (NOC 0125)
Location: Suite 300, 602 – 12th Avenue SW, Calgary, Alberta T2R 1J3
employment: Permanent, full time
Hours of work: 40 hours per week
Benefits: Eligible for bonuses and/or salary increases; Health and Dental (after 3 months’ probation);Participation in profit sharing and pension plan (after 1 year probation)
Salary: $48.08 per hour
The Legal Insurance Services Manager will be required to work closely with the Senior Partner, Partners, Associates and management of the law firm. The Legal Insurance Services Manager will provide the highest level of administrative education and experience, in all aspects of the Firm’s administrative operations with specific accountability and responsibility for the Firm’s litigation insurance and finance facility, and serve as a relationship manager with brokers and underwriters in litigation insurance markets based in the UK.
• Assists by responding to both general and all litigation insurance and finance correspondence/inquiries; drafting responses and obtaining/searching relevant information.
• Be experienced within both domestic and international markets and be familiar with all court procedures i.e. corporate, personal injury, etc, filing of documents, time management and deadlines are critical.
• Assists counsel and office staff in maintaining an efficient information tracking system (filing). To perform the position as described in this job description and within the policies & procedures of the Maurice Law.
• Review all legal documents in order to extract relevant "Litigation Insurance & Financing" information.
• Utilize the above in order to complete:
o Commercial Litigation Case Assessment Form for Insurance;
o Workplan and Budget for Insurance and Financing;
o Compile information and draft summaries to allow Insurer to complete independent legal advice and risk assessment; and
o Draft Loan Agreement for Financing and ancillary documents.
• Submit the above with supporting information to:
o U.K. Insurance Company for Insurance;
o Special Broker for Insurance;
o Financial Institutions for Financing; and
o Coordinate with legal counsel to implement workplan.
• Review and respond:
o First Nations Legal Funding Insurance Policy
o Surety Bond
o Assignment of Moneys
o Credit Facility;
o Statutory Declaration;
o Borrowing Request & Direction; and
o Trust Agreement.
• Liaise with:
o U.K. Insurance Company;
o Special Brokers;
o Financial Institutions;
o Investment Managers; and
o Forensic Accountants.
• Management of:
o Litigation Insurance; and
• Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations of establishments that provide services to business such as management consulting, market research, personnel and payroll services, contact centre services and security services.
• Plan, develop and organize the policies and procedures of these establishments.
• Develop action plans, provide expertise in response to client needs, and support and advise project teams.
• Direct and advise staff in the development and implementation of service quality assessment strategies.
• Plan, administer and control budgets for client projects, contracts, equipment and supplies.
• Represent the company within various economic and social organizations.
• Assist staff with administrative or technical problems.
• Other duties as required from time to time.
• Post-secondary education in a related field such as business or finance administration.
• 2-3 years of experience within a business involved in litigation insurance and finance, preferably with direct experience working in UK insurance markets.
• At least 1 year of experience in a Business Development role.
• Excellent knowledge of litigation insurance and finance, preferably within both domestic and international markets.
• Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, as well as excellent computer skills; knowledge of Microsoft Office, Salesforce, PowerPoint, document management software; knowledge of modern office methods and procedures, as well as excellent writing and oral communication skills.
• Ability to perform administrative duties with speed and accuracy without immediate and constant supervision.
• Ability to maintain a good working relationship with all co-workers and clients and to use good judgment in recognizing scope of authority.
• Should be familiar with the legal, finance and insurance profession and have a good understanding of Aboriginal culture and history.
Lawyers and Articling Students
Maurice Law is a national law firm with offices in Calgary, Redwood Meadows, Vancouver, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, and Ottawa. We are actively looking for candidates for lawyers and articling students who will enhance our reputation as one of the leading aboriginal law boutique firms in Canada.
For individuals seeking to further their careers at Maurice Law, we are looking for enthusiastic and self-motivated candidates, who have excellent legal research and writing skills, and wish to have the opportunity to practice stimulating and rewarding work in a collegial team environment.
Please address your application package (including cover letter, resume, transcripts and writing sample) to Betty Recollet, Office Manager. We thank all applicants for their interest.
At Maurice Law, we are always looking for dedicated and skilled support staff including research assistants, document support, and legal assistants. Please address your application package (including cover letter, resume, and transcripts) to Betty Recollet, Office Manager or click on the Apply Here button below.